1. Can I change my court date?

Your court date cannot be changed by the Clerk’s office. Court dates are scheduled by the District Attorney, Judge or Magistrate and any motion for a continuance should be made in court.

2. Can I pay my ticket with a credit or debit card?

Credit / Debit Card, Money Orders, Cashier’s Checks or cash are acceptable forms of payment. Please note that personal checks cannot be accepted and the mailing of cash is not recommended.

3. How do I obtain a criminal record check?

To obtain a criminal record check, you will need to provide our office with the full name of the person that you need checked. You may make this request in person at the criminal division of our office (room 8) or by mail. Generally, a record check of our electronic criminal index (July, 1989 – present) only takes a few moments and can be done while you wait. If you require a record check dated before July 1989, a search of the AOC microfilm records and index books will require additional time to complete. There is a $25.00 fee assessed for all record checks. Please note that our office can only search and certify the records of Pender County. If you require a statewide record check you can obtain one from the following website: www.123NC.com

4. How do I determine when my court case is scheduled for court?

You can go to the North Carolina Courts website at www.nccourts.org and search “Court Calendars” and then “District and Superior Court Query.” If you need additional assistance in determining your court date, please call our office and we will be happy to assist you.

5. If I waive my court appearance and pay my ticket will my driver’s license or insurance be affected?

If you choose to waive your court appearance and pay your ticket, you are pleading guilty or responsible to the offenses on your ticket. Our office cannot advise you on how your plea will affect your driver’s license or insurance. You may wish to consult with an attorney before making this decision.

6. What will happen if I do not have the money to pay my fees on my court date?

Any fees assessed are due on your court date. If you require any additional time to pay these fees, it is your responsibility to make that fact known to the Court. If you are given additional time to pay or are placed on supervised probation, an additional $20.00 fee will added to your court costs. Failure to pay as ordered will result in additional penalties added to your court costs and the suspension of your driving privileges.

7. What will happen if I miss my court date?

If you fail to appear on your court date, you may be subject to some or all of the following penalties: a $200 penalty added to your court costs, an Order for your Arrest issued and a suspension of your driving privileges. Only a judge has the authority to modify your failure to appear status; therefore, your appearance in court will be necessary to request any modifications to this status. You may call our office for further instructions.

8. Why do I have to pay court costs if I am not going to court?

The term “court costs” refers to the state and county fees mandated by the state legislature for convictions of criminal and traffic offenses. These fees apply to all cases regardless of whether you appear in court or choose to waive your appearance and enter a plea of guilty or responsible by paying your ticket prior to court.

9. How do I make a supervised probation payment?

You may pay your monthly supervised probation payment at our cashier’s office in the main courthouse. You are required to provide the cashier with your file number in order to make your payment. If you do not know your file number, you will need to contact your probation officer to obtain this information. The cashier’s office is open Monday – Friday from 8:30 am until 4:40 pm. Acceptable forms of payment are cash or money orders. Personal checks are not accepted. You may also mail your payment. If you choose to mail your payment, please type or legibly write your name and file number on your money order. Any payments received will be returned to you if this information is not provided or if we are unable to interpret the same. If you require a receipt, you must enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment. Any inquiries regarding your payment amount or final balances should be directed to your probation officer.

10. Can I pay or comply with my ticket online?

If you received a traffic ticket for a drivers license, registration or inspection-related offense and have complied with the North Carolina DMV, then you may be able to request dismissal online at "onlineservices.nccourts.org".  If you have been to Criminal Court and owe money, some fees can be paid online.  All other cases must be paid in person or by mail.